Ghana Team Journal


May team arrives to Senchi Ferry!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Prepared by Maggie Martino

On Saturday May 14th 8:00am we arrived in Accra, the capital of Ghana. When we first arrived I realized it was much hotter than I expected. My Dad and I were picked up at the airport by Esther and greeted with a warm hug. I was so happy to finally meet my team leader, every emotion I was feeling from this trip became alive. I was excited to start my journey and couldn’t wait to see what things I would be doing next. We drove to the airport view hotel, where we would be staying that day. We were able to check out the city scene and catch up on some sleep. Later that night we joined with the rest of the team. It was a team of 9, Kathy, Paty, Christy, Tara, Jamie, Ashley, and my father and I. We were all from different locations but all had the same interests. We were all eager to start our journey full of new experiences, laughter and learning. After a nice dinner at the hotel and getting to know each other we headed to bed to prepare ourselves for our trip to Senchi Ferry early the next morning. After hearing so many great things about the community of Senchi I felt so happy and excited and I was ready to experience a whole new world!

Day 2: May 15th

Early Sunday morning we packed the vans and left to Senchi Ferry. It was a 2 hour ride to Senchi but it went by very fast because of all of the sites to look at while driving. We were able to see a lot of different parts of Ghana. We passed by many markets, the people waiting for “Tro Tro’s” and beautiful landscapes. When we arrived to the St. James guest house in Senchi I found it was greater than I had expected. It was exciting to see the mango trees right outside of our house and I was also happy to find we all had our own bed, bathroom and air-conditioned room. I was extremely pleased. We took some time to learn Twi, the local language. We learned many basics like how are you? What is your name and the different responses and greetings. Shortly after that we walked over to the village for a ceremony! I was so grateful to meet the chiefs and other people of the community such as the mayors and teachers. It was so interesting to see the way they dressed and the traditions they had like praying and blessing the ground and passing around the schnapps. As soon as we approached the village we were greeted so nicely by the locals and I felt very welcomes. The kids were more than words could explain. They were so joyous and happy and very respectable. They raced to each group member just hug them and learn our names. I could not ask for a better outcome, everything was filled with many positive emotions. I wanted to learn more about each individual and learn more about they’re culture. Today was a great day and I cannot wait for all the activities I will be doing tomorrow in the community.

0 comments: