Ghana Team Journal


Friday, August 12, 2011

Quote of the day: “We are the teaching species. Not only do the young need adults, but adults need the young. Human beings need to teach not only for the sake of those who need to be taught, but for the fulfillment of our identities and because ideas are kept alive by being shared, truths by being professed.”

-Erik Eriksson

Journal by: Laurie McMahon

I’m sure I can speak for all of us when I say we knew this would be a bitter-sweet day, much the same, certainly, as it was for our seven friends who left last week. We started our day with my favorite breakfast, French toast. When Esther arrived, she told us construction had been cancelled for the day, so we all headed for the schools. Before leaving for our final walk to school, though, we loaded up Esther’s car with the school supplies we were donating. Once at school, under the big tree in the yard, the supplies were ceremoniously presented jointly by the volunteers and Samuel, our host. It was a short, yet meaningful presentation of our gifts, with the kids all gathered around and photos being taken.

George then headed over to the JHS, where he tutored some kids in math. Kay went with Tracee down to Peace Perfect, for a day typical of the last day before vacation- rather chaotic, full of fun and excited children. It sounded like they had loads of fun, though, as all the kids migrated into Tracee’s room and were treated to playing football with Tracee and piggy back rides from Kay. I went to my usual classroom where I spent the day with many children- my regulars, plus even some brand new faces, for a total of 41 kids! It was a nice day, though, and I finally got the Obama song on video, thanks to three JHS girls. When our dismissal time of 12:00 came around, we were still in the middle of a project and I wasn’t ready to leave. In spite of my telling George, Kay and Tracee that they could head home without me, they dutifully, thoughtfully and patiently waited while we finished up our work and I could finally gather the kids all together to give them a heartfelt talk about how we’ve all touched each other’s lives, as the emotion crept into my voice. I then dismissed the kids amid hugs for all four us and we walked back to the St. James.

Lunch was very pleasurable, with lively conversation and more delicious food. We are getting to know Nelly, Bless’s daughter, more as she becomes more comfortable around us. Bless, whose name we learned today is really Yayra (Blessed in Twi), had told us Nelly was “scared of white people,” but she seems to be overcoming that fear!

We headed for the library for our final day with the children and were surprised when Samuel announced that it was going to be a puzzle day. We all played wooden board puzzles with the kids on the floor and it was fun to teach the kids strategies for putting them together and then watching their excitement. We headed back at our usual time- our final return from Senchi Library and through the Senchi-Ferry community.

After dinner, Esther came by to pick us up for live music and dancing at the Volta Hotel, at her invitation. Once we arrived, though, we learned that there was no live music that night. We had a great time anyway, and there was lots of laughter, mostly at George’s rather unusual and anatomical topics of conversations that he repeatedly brought up, but about which I’m forbidden by Esther to mention in the journal. Unfortunately, you won’t even be able to guess at what they were, since they were so bizarre.

Tomorrow it will be difficult to say goodbye to my three young friends, in spite of the merciless way they have teased me in this last week! The bonds we made in the first two weeks were definitely strengthened through our adventures this last week and I’m glad we all had this extra time together. I wish for them safe journeys home tomorrow night and I’m happy to know they have each other with whom to maneuver their way through the Accra Airport and across the Atlantic. For me, I’m looking forward to my sight seeing excursion on Sunday with Esther’s brother, Ebenezer, and arriving home to see my family on Monday!

As I mentioned in my last quote and to my students today, we have all touched each other’s lives and therefore, been changed in the process. We missed you all, Margaret, Sarah, Mary, Jeff, Will, Steve and Grace and were always excited to receive your emails of your further travels throughout Ghana and your reunions with family and favorite foods!

Lastly, thank you to Esther and Amo, who made this experience so immensely worthwhile, fun and fulfilling. We love and appreciate you dearly!


0 comments: