Ghana Team Journal


Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Quote of the day: Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.

Journal by: Rick

Is today Wednesday? Oh gee! The day was running too fast since we arrived here. Janine and I met for breakfast at 7 AM. The meal for breakfast was oatmeal, egg and toast. This time, someone knew that I do not eat egg. My dish came without egg. Smile. It was getting closer toward 8 AM, we were getting concern because Amo and Esther didn’t show up to join us for breakfast. Janine and I left for our room to gather our things for our assignment for the morning. All the sudden Amo knocked my door to tell me hurry up to run to Esther’s car. They were all waiting for me. Esther took us to our jobs.

Today, it was my 2nd day at the construction site. The nice part about the morning, it was perfect for me to do the job because it wasn’t too hot. Our main task was to pour cement to the foundation for the wall. There were 3 guys to join me to mix the sand & gravel with cement. There were a pile of smooth sand in one location, a pile of gravel at another spot, and a pile of rough sand at a 3rd location. We had to use the wheelbarrow to cart the sand and gravel inside to the school’s room. After a few hours carting the sand and gravel to the school, the head master called her students to gather water to the room. It was cool to see over 30 students carry the buckets to the well to gather the water and brought back the buckets on top of their head back to us. We poured the water over the sand & gravel. It took 3 trips for the students to bring us the water. There were kids under 8 years can carry over 20 pounds of water on their head. Anyway, we had to mix the sand, gravel and cement back and forth before we can pour it to the foundation. One of the construction guys named Sey, he is very strong 18 years guy to mix the cement while we were watching him. Between breaks, Sey and I were talking lots about Colorado and USA. I had to tell him lots about Colorado so he can relay it to the other guys. They never seen snow and I had to explain to them about the word, “Skiing”. They love it when I told them. I also had a postcard from my backpack to show them a picture of Colorado. One of the guy ask me if Colorado is part of California and want my phone number if he travels to CA. I was laughing at him because it is 9,000 miles to travel there. Sey told me that I am his best friend. Isn’t that sweet for him to say that to me? Anyway, Amo came to pick me up and had to rush to walk to the other school to pick up Janine. We were late for lunch.

After lunch, we walked back to the library for our afternoon task. When we entered inside the library, the exciting kids were thrill to see us back for the 3rd day. Many of the kids were hugging us. The kids for my group wanted for me to teach them Paint at the computer’ room. I got an OK from the teacher to use the computers. While working with the kids on the computer, I notice they learned how to use the games on the PC instead using Paint. One of the head master walked to the computer room and got very angry to see some of the kids playing games. He gave me a lecture. Oh well, I ordered the kids to use Paint, no games!

After the library, Amo, Janine and I took a walk to the Volta River. While we were walking toward to the river, we saw unfinished buildings, a church and a huge hotel. We also saw lots of banana trees.

After the walk, we had an hour before dinnertime. It looked Janine was worn out for teaching all the kids for the day and had to retire for the evening. Have a nice night.



0 comments: