Ghana Team Journal


Bryan's Story

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Each student in Ghanaian public schools is required to wear a uniform, but school fees have been abolished in recent years. Thus any student with enough money for a uniform (about $4) can attend school. That said, there seemed to be lots of a la carte expenses the students had to pay. For example, at the end of the term, in order to take the exams that would secure or deny their promotion to the 7th grade, each student had to pay 20 peswas for the copying of their exam (20 cents).
Victor stays behind during recess to complete his assignment


Christian and Emmanuel work on their Maths


I brought a stack of photos with me to share more about my life in the U.S. with my students. I then used these photos as prompts for a writing exercise. Here Eric writes a paragraph about the photo of my Nephew Jacob eating ice cream

Gladys prepares to ring the bell (analog) for recess. Gladys was one of the students who was obviously hungry each day. Although very bright, she didn't have much energy. During recess I would share my Cliff-bars with her and she would perk right up.


Diku relaxes on a bench during recess


Mavis, Conscious and Abigail


Priscilla learns to throw a frisbee during recess. I brought a frisbee and soccer ball with me for my students to enjoy. The school had only one ball for all 400 students.


Catch!


Helen during break


The Library at Senchi Ferry Methodist School. The selection of books was very limited, but there were plans to install electricity and install a donated computer. Its a start!


Patricia reads an old favorite


After a snack, Gladys reads during library time - she is puzzling over the concept of "Igloo" (she has never experienced a temperature lower than 75 degrees, so her concept of ice is limited to the freezer at the local market).


Gladys, Esther and Martha

Another wing of the Methodist School


I picked up a soccer ball at Target before leaving for Ghana, and I suspect it was the most popular thing I brought with me (including myself).

Who needs shoes - that is why they call it football!


Moro and Diku


Eliji

Diku was about 15 and in the sixth grade, so he tended to dominate at recess


Al-Haji, one of the few muslim students in my class, takes a shot on goal


Karen, another volunteer on our team, teaches her 5th graders the Hokey-Pokey


0 comments: