Ghana Team Journal


Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thursday, February 25, 2010

contributed by Lauren

“To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people, and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics, and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know that even one life has breathed easier because you lived.
This is to have succeeded.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, contributed by Margaret

Today was another hot day. I was hoping by this point, we might be used to the heat, but no – it still feels hot. Everyone feels healthy, and it was nice to see Shirley up and around all day. We taught again in the morning, and all was successful minus the fact that I needed to teach my second graders how to make a cake and I couldn’t AND a fight broke out over the footballs…again.

Lunch was good – we found the balance between protein and carbohydrates by day five. I guess the small accomplishments we will always revel in, though somehow when someone asks us how we are in TWI we all still hesitate as if it may have changed since yesterday.

The afternoon tutoring was successful, and by that I mean it was not as hot as usual and the kids seem to like to learn and we enjoy watching them.

The market, complete with smoked fish, was OK. The highlight for me was running into Esther’s sister, meeting her husband and Jon and having her ask if Connor and Chris were my boyfriends. Patty found the soccer cleats she needed and Rose and I bought wine…..I think everyone is tired and midnight is too late to go to sleep.

0 comments: