Ghana Team Journal


August 31, 2010

Tuesday, August 31, 2010


Prepared by Gary

Quote for the day: “Whom have I served during my waking hours of this day.” Fr. Dave Kohner

The younger volunteers from the east coast continued the hard concrete work. No key available to get water so they pumped water out of the new septic tank. YUK, but creative. Of course it hadn’t been used yet. Another day at the library covering books for the village and its children. The children enjoyed cutting and handing over the tape to us. One girl about 11 years old would watch me so close and hand me the tape before I asked for it, I told Tim that she will be a great nurse or dental assistant because she would give the doctors their instruments before they would ask for them, and everything done with a beautiful smile. We finished up at 4pm and went over to the queens’ palace where she served us some ice cream. The children were in the door way so I motioned them in and proceeded to feed six children my ice cream. Their mouths were open like little chicks in a nest waiting their turn. They said they loved the ice cream but not near as much as I loved feeding it to them.

As I looked around at the village elders and the children’s parents, I could see the enjoyment in their faces as we worked with and played with the children. The children were having so much fun and we were working at their future library. We have been in other developing countries but I felt so much safer and more loved from the people of Ghana and especial the people of Senchi-Ferry. I could also see first hand that the Global Volunteer staff from Ghana, Esther and Amo, Katie from St. Paul and Kathleen, from Boston, truly enjoy this project, the people, the volunteers and the communities they serve.

0 comments: