Ghana Team Journal


"First Day on the Job!"

Monday, May 16, 2011

Prepared by Christy Davidson

Today was our first day on the job. We started off with a tour of the village and then separated to do different activities. Some of us worked in the clinic, some of us worked in the library and others went to observe teaching. I observed the grade 4 class at the private school. The class was very welcoming and accommodating to me. After learning some basic math on squares and rectangles the class had a break to run and play with their friends. All of the kids were so interested in talking to me. One girl introduced herself as Gifty and offered me some of her snack, I thought that this was such a nice gesture considering that this may be a big portion of what she gets to eat for the day and knowing that we likely have much more food at the hotel.

After a nice lunch at the St. James hotel we went back to the village for some after school tutorials. It was nice to see some of the kids from my class showed up. I was helping in the computer room and the kids were so intrigued by the typing exercise they could barely wait their turn. I was having such a good time helping them that I decided not to go to the market so we could continue helping them. After we were finished we were lucky enough to have two of the girls from the Methodist school walk us back to our house because they lived close by. I can’t believe this was only our first day working with the kids and I already feel like we have done so much to impact their lives.

0 comments: