Ghana Team Journal


Monday, August 8, 2011

Quote of the day:
"During your life, everything you do and everyone you meet rubs off in some way. Some bit of everything you experience stays with everyone you’ve known and nothing is lost. That’s what’s external, these little experiences in a great and emotional river that has no end."
(Author Unknown)

Journal by: (The one who is trying to figure out how to use the computer and messing up all of the dates by delaying her journal entry) Thanks, George. Really this is from Laurie McMahon!

Before I begin with the day’s events, for those of you not on the hike on Saturday, please allow me to clarify something from George’s journal entry. Yes, our 15-year-old guide held my hand for ¾ of our ascent up the mountain, but he did not “pull” me up. He chose my hand to hold with consideration to birth order and therefore, a sign of respect. To hear George, Kay and Tracee tell it- over and over and over- you’d think I’d been airlifted up by helicopter! Okay, I did slip 3 times before my hand was taken but I did walk on my own 2 feet. Okay, record set straight!

So, today, Monday, August 8, was our first day of work as a crew of only 4. After a typical and filling breakfast, Esther insisted on driving us now that we could all fit in her car, in spite of our protests! “I’ve walked all my life, carrying things on my head,” said Esther, “I’m not walking anymore!” Once there, in record time, Tracee and I went to teach and Kay and George were off to the cement mixing and pouring. From what I could tell, everyone had a fulfilling morning with their respective duties. For me, this was the most productive and calm day, so far. The kids seem to be getting used to my routines and expectations. I’m sure it was the same for Tracee.

After lunch, (Hey! We had local corn, prepared a bit tougher and chewier than we are used to, but still good. It was the first time ever a Global Volunteer was served local corn- turns out all we had to do was ask), we piled back into Esther’s car for a speedy trip to the market in Akosombo, which was bustling and full of vendors, unlike the day before when it was mostly just tomatoes, peppers and candy. All for of us bought more fabric (the choices were plentiful and gorgeous) and we picked up another soccer ball for the donation pile. And, George needed to buy more flip flops, after leaving his on the hood of the taxi a few days earlier. Esther lead us around with her head held high, as people kept telling her that “her white people were beautiful.”

We then rushed back to the St. James to meet up with Amo for our walk to the library. (Thank goodness Amo doesn’t have a car!) Expecting tons of kids, they were instead slow to come, but soon the library was full and we all had children with whom to read. Steve’s boys were in the capable hands of Kay, so no worries there.

Later, during dinner, we had an informal “get to know Amo better” session, as he answered questions and shared how he spends his free time. Amo then had an enthusiastic conversation with the younger generation about different types of complicated and new-age video and photo editing software, after which, totally confused by this conversation, I bragged that I knew how to type a letter on my computer, save it, and print it out. No one was impressed, but do any of them know how to address, stamp and mail an envelope?! A good day all around and now, thanks to Tracee, I am comfortable entering these journal entries onto the GV laptop. So, a productive one, as well!


0 comments: