Ghana Team Journal


Monday March 1, 2010

Monday, March 1, 2010


contributed by Laurel

“You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’ You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt, contributed by Shirley

When the group first visited Senchi Ferry, we were all so excited to see the pressed white nurses uniforms and the beaming smiles of the nurses. We all wanted pictures. When I gave my camera to Amo, he informed me that he had never seen a disposable camera before. We live in a disposable society and waste too much. We waste resources and time, and we even waste opportunities.

So it is with an open heart that I say I am enjoying learning alongside the students at Senchi Ferry clinic. Today Shirley worked in the prenatal clinic, and saw many expectant mothers. One needed an AIDS test, which the nurses administered. I went with the students on their home visits, where we counseled families on the causes, effects, and prevention of cerebrospinal meningitis. The teachers in our group were enjoying teaching the students a wide range of topics, including math and singing their ABCs. After lunch, we tutored the children, then I showed Rose the post office and we walked leisurely back to the guesthouse, where we discovered that the power was still out. Dinner was delicious. Bliss made pasta with tomato sauce, and Margaret bought some bread.

0 comments: