Ghana Team Journal


Tuesday March 9, 2010

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

“ I expect to pass through this life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now……as it shall not pass this way again.”

Today our remaining team members, Rose, Shirley and I, awoke refreshed from the Independence Day celebrations that subsequently gave us all a Monday off. At breakfast, Rose and Shirley shared with us their Cape Coast excursion experiences, and I shared my encounters with the local villagers. Some of my encounters lead me to meet children who were truly hungry, and I was blest to be able to share bread and oranges with them.

After our usual breakfast, we readied for work. We took a cab and dropped Shirley off first at the clinic, then Rose and I were dropped off at the school.


The children seemed genuinely happy to see my return. However, I was even happier to see them. They are loving, adorable, respectful, and eager to assist in any way they can; be it carrying books, purses, or our waters.

We all returned to the guesthouse for lunch around noon, so we had an hour to relax before our meal. The lunch was particularly tasty today: fried chicken quarters, coleslaw salad, fresh baked bread, and French fries. Bless was kind enough to leave out hot water, sugar and tea bags for my afternoon tea.

We then rested until after school tutoring. However, a storm came and was too severe to go to tutoring, so we relaxed on our own until dinner.

Dinner was delicious and consisted of salad, beef slices in tomato sauce, rice and bread. During the meal, Shirley shared with us her clinic experience that day. She said it was very busy and she was tired. I admire her strength in seeing needy sick people all day. I would not handle it as well as she.

After eating, I retired to my room to read, prepare for the next days school, and write this journal entry.

0 comments: