Ghana Team Journal


Day Five

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Today I woke up not feeling so well. My head was out of place and my body was as well. I decided to catch up on sleep and take a multivitamin - it worked! I feel better and more alive. I came in for lunch and everyone asked how I was doing. We headed up to tutoring and instead of reading Yvonne and I took a walk to explore. the people are wonderful and we discovered another school. I picked flowers for Esther who hadn't received flowers before. After tutoring we headed to Aksombo Hotel - what a view! Beautiful dam and nature around it. I had been requested to take a picture with "Doc" a novelty dwarf from the 7 dwarfs. I did take a couple picture - I also got a shot of him as a "ladies man" with all the women of the group. Today was a good day.

-Travis

Today was a tiresome day- really hot but it’s part of the work. The children are so wonderful , they come up with hugs and waves brighten my day. Got to see the Ghana museum which was nice we will have an early dinner which is good… we get a night to relax. Tomorrow morning back to work but in the afternoon we go to the arts and crafts market which I’m excited for. Saturday is Cape Coast. A week is over. one more to go. I will miss Africa very much!

-Jasmine


Today felt like a turning point on so many levels, perhaps for the most part due to our incredible time of sharing over dinner last night. That dinner felt like a pivotal time for us as a team, and most assuredly for me personally. I arrived at breakfast, feeling raw and exposed, and simultaneously feeling supported and more importantly supporting - because I know for a fact that I was not the only one who felt raw and exposed. This knowledge made me feel closer to the entire group and even more grateful to be here.

After our egg white frittata and two very enjoyable cups of coffee, off we headed to venture to say was our hottest day so far. This trip to date has been all about learning, and this morning's lesson was blatant: When in Ghana, do as the Ghanaian's do! I say this because when we arrived at our construction site, feeling invigorated and keen and somewhat smug about the wall that we had managed to erect during the previous morning. But alas, not only were the tasks that we had left half completed the day before now finished but it appeared that there was absolutely no role for us as this work day began! With our North American mentality far from aborted, we asked, questioned and almost begged "What can we do?" And when the response continued to be nothing as the wooden molds were being constructed by only two of the men we felt useless and I dare say, disappointed. But one side of me kept noticing one thing - all of the young men from Ghana, who were not constructing the molds were not only accepting that they had no task, but they were taking advantage of the idle time by lying in the shade and resting. There was a moment when I realized they were preserving their energy for what was to come. And so I repeat: When in Ghana, do as the Ghananians do! By 10am, we were shoveling sand and cement and stones in order to mix what was needed to pour the pillars, and by 10:30 we were carrying bowls of water on our heads from their water reservoir to the site of the school addition, and I think I speak for all of us in construction when I say I have a new found respect for the women of this culture who carry so much more on their heads with never a spill. By the time we left to walk home at noon, we were physically exhausted, sunburned, starving, thirsty and very much in need of not only lunch but a good, long shower. In our many moments of leisure before the workday escalated, we had the pleasure of watching our teammates as they taught classes, resolved conflicts among fighting children, and assisted the nurses as they gave shots and Vitamin A supplement to the children. Ahhhh.....what a difference we are making in this community! I think I finally experienced a moment of truly appreciating that knowledge this morning. Lunch was early, I was late. I hate being late, but this time is all about stepping out of my comfort zone....so I chose instead to enjoy my sticky rice ball dipped into my bowl of curried chicken and soak in the company of my table mates.

Tutoring under the big tree today felt calmer, perhaps because the intense heat affected not only our energy level, but also those of the children. One young boy at my table actually put his head down and slept for almost the entire hour.

Out time at the Voltare hotel was fun - some good conversations with our ever evolving and endearing friends and a chance for many of us to touch base with our loved ones at home. We arrived back for dinner with a sense that we had all been old friends for years. And such is the formula for a perfect day: hard work, an unexpected lesson, good food, the touch of an innocent child, laughter and good conversation, and the trust and support of new and old friends. It was a perfect day.

- Carolyn

1 comments:

Kev said...

Good morning!

Sounds like you are all doing well, and learning a lot! Keep us posted, and we are believing for a great trip for all of you!

Kevin OKeefe