Ghana Team Journal


Each day, a new adventure!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

‘Merkavah is the mystery that carries all existence. It is the mystery that carries you right now, that holds you, that steers you, and guides you. Merkavah is the embrace of the Four Winds, the four breaths that emanate from the one single primordial breath of God that brings all into existence. In this embrace we are carried as we journey through this lifetime. The literal translation of mer’kavah means “to ride,” as opposed to walking or running; it means to ride, as in being carried by something else. It means to have faith that you will get there, wherever, whenever.’

- Rabbi Eliezer Benseon Bruk

Written by: Megan

Class was delayed about an hour and a half today as the students were outside cutting the grass with machetes. I was amazed they didn’t slice each other open as they swung 12-inch blades around, something they are obviously used to using.

Susana was not at school today but somehow I was able to manage. The students did individual reading as I walked around and listened to them for a while or answered questions for them. Another teacher came in and removed many of my students only to replace them a short time later by other students from another class – ones he thought might benefit from the reading session, I suppose.

Some girls brought a jump-rope into the class during break and asked me to join them. Needless to say my jump-rope skills were a little rusty but they returned quickly. Esther came in near the end of break and I informed her that the teacher wasn’t around so she did not want me in the class alone. Abigail and Elizabeth, two girls from my class, walked me up the street to the clinic to see Ruth. No one came in while I was there so Ruth, Mary, and I had a nice chat about Ghana and Canada.

Fewer kids came to the library today, however Linda attended again, and once again I saw improvement.

0 comments: