Ghana Team Journal


Day one!

Monday, June 13, 2011

‘The world is before you and need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in.’

- James Baldwin

Written by: Ruth

Woke up to the rooster’s calls this morning – multiple times in case he thinks we were still asleep, 4:15 for Megan and 4:20 for me. Breakfast was at 7:00 am, Esther beat us to the table, Yaw and Isaac had already been taken to school for today. Fried eggs, toast with jelly and butter, and OJ.

We walked to New Akrade (about 10-15 minutes) and met up with the host, Samuel, and the mayor, William. We toured the school grounds and met the Headmaster and the teachers of the primary school. Left Megan with Susana, one of the grade school teachers (grade 4) and Esther and I walked back to the clinic to meet Mary – the best clinic coordinator – a hands-on, nice person who checked people in – handling their insurance card, asking their reason for being there and then sending them along to the nurse. I took some BP’s and learnt some words:

  • Medase – Thank you
  • Akwaba - Welcome
  • Maakye – Good Morning
  • Wo dim den sen – What is your name? (and all English names)


I also learnt that when Mary would say “I’m coming” she really meant “I’m going” which a kind man at the clinic explained to me.

We left the clinic at 12:10 to walk back to the guesthouse. Lunch was fresh fries, chicken, and salad followed by a much needed trip to the showers – and cold ones. We finally received our mosquito nets as well. Amo showed up soon after and walked us to the Senchi Ferry Library to tutor the kids in reading. We were introduced to a room of exuberant kids who were all very polite. We took pictures all around. However it was all over so quick and we had to leave. More pictures as we walked back – trees, people, ducks and goats.

We sat and relaxed for a bit until dinner at 6:00 pm – we had sticky rice with sauce (green peppers, yellow peppers, cucumber, and chicken) – very good. And as a treat – popcorn! Which according to Esther, popcorn is something you get only when the cook likes you. Had a nice meeting with Amo – we discussed many things before he had to leave. And finally it was time for us to sleep – mosquito nets added a much greater sense of security.

Written by: Megan

I was placed in a grade four class, the teacher’s name – Susana Likpiti. Just observation for today. When I entered the room every student stood up from their desks and welcomed me loudly and enthusiastically, it was clear they were happy to have me. They then proceeded to stand up one by one and introduced themselves – as if that was enough for me to memorize all of their names. Susana said they would put their names on the corner of their desks for me. The lesson began and the students read in their primary readers about dreams and dogs, followed by a quick review of their homework from the previous day. Then it was time for a science test – forces, energy, and the solar system. Seemed a lot to cover in a single topic. As Susana wrote down the questions I sat there trying to answer them. My answers were over-thought and complex which immediately brought to mind the TV show “Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?” and in that moment I didn’t even feel smarter than a 4th grader considering I couldn’t simply and confidently answer several of the questions. As the notebooks with their answers began to trickle up to the front of the class I helped Susana mark them – with a list of answers she provided me of course. I continued marking as break rolled around. But it wasn’t long before my peace came crashing around me. Children poured over to the window to see me and more came into the classroom, many wishing for me to take their pictures, which I was quite happy to do.

Break ended and the students dashed off to their own classes, as 4B, too, began to fill up. Susana went over the test questions and continued on with Citizenship Education – How we are governed, a topic involving the purpose of the country’s constitution.

As class came to a close Susana asked me if I could bring in a poem or song for the kids to learn tomorrow. I tried to think of something but my mind had gone blank. I told her a reluctant yes and hoped I would be able to find something to use....

0 comments: