Ghana Team Journal


Friday, September 9, 2011

Thought of the day:

“When I was five, my mom told me the key to life was happiness. When I went to school they asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said ‘happy’, they told me I didn’t get the assignment, and I told them they didn’t get life.”

By Cailin


Journal by: Cailin

Final full day in Senchi. Started with a nice breakfast, but I did almost cry without my peanut butter.

Had a lovely time at the library with Samuel, Kathleen, and mom. All we did was clean, clean, clean. After cleaning the entire library (including Samuel’s very messy office) we all sat around the table and just talked. It was refreshing to sit under the cool fan and just share a warming laugh. In the middle of Samuel’s life story a mother and her 6-month-old baby came in. The mother was kind enough to let me wrap her baby on my back. It was such a touching moment. The little girl held on tightly to my hands and just relaxed against my back. There’s a sense of connection when being so close and bundled up with a small child. I was happy to finally accomplish that goal of mine.

We said bye to the mother and baby and then Kathleen, mom and I were off to the fabric maker to watcher her continue working on our fabrics. All the little ones that were waiting outside the library joined us. The amount of time and detail put into the creation of these fabrics is so amazing.

Then we went back to the front of the library to meet Sandy so we could go to the clinic. Waiting outside the library were my favorite little obibinies Oliver and Gina. I took pictures with them and Gina finally started laughing and giggling with me. I know I shouldn’t pick favorites but I’ll really miss those two.

It was a nice lunch followed by my final nap in my mini bed.

Afternoon library time was overly fun. All of the obibinies (King Bello’s group) were a part of my group for puzzle making. Barbra and I tried to help the little ones make the puzzles as fast as we could. They’re so sweet and extremely cute. At the end saying goodbyes was hard. I didn’t want to say bye to all the little kids. I grew very fond of the young ones and the kids my age. The rain began to fall; it was an eerie, movie like feeling. The goodbyes didn’t feel real but I know that sadly it was real. Kathleen, mom, Barbra, Mathew, Gina (there little brother), and I got a taxi and were off to the St. James Guesthouse. I had to say more sad goodbyes to my really good new friends Barbra and Mathew.

I indulged in a lovely shower with a water bottle and then was off to my last dinner in this remarkable town. Everyone was there and we all squeezed around the table. Looking around at all my new friends I couldn’t believe this was goodbye. We took many pictures, said many thank yous, and finally ended the night with a million handshakes.

It’s weird to think I embarked on this journey to live out a dream and change these people’s lives. Now I’m leaving with one of my larges dreams as a reality and my life changed. You always hear the stories about people who tried to change someone’s life but their life changed instead. I never imagined that I would be able to say I was one of those people. And above that I never thought I would make the friendships I have. I truly have grown fond of this town and the people here. I gained a family of obibinies and it’s unreal to think I have to leave them.

All it took was two weeks, two weeks of breathtaking experiences, two weeks of new friends, and two weeks of a life changing experience.


0 comments: