Ghana Team Journal


Dancing

Thursday, May 24, 2012


Another great day in Senchi Ferry!  This morning we were greeted with a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast.  Afterwards I walked with  Roger, Ann and Sam toward the school.  I was able to stop at the Methodist school where Lyn and Pam were talking.  After Pam and I headed to the library, Lyn was able to watch a Methodist service in celebration of the founder, John Wesley.  She told us about the beautiful hymns the children sang as well as the sermon about obedience (a lesson my Sunday school class could use as well!).  Meanwhile at the library the internet was sluggishly moving along.  I learned that the Gods of Africa must not want Pam to send emails because no matter what email service we used it would not work!  I headed to the clinic where a few patients trickled in.  I was able to register them as well as take their vitals and prepare the paperwork.  I was excited to feel like I am helping the clinic.

Roger and Ann continued at the private school where they taught the kids about blood pressure and even allowed them to have their BP taken thanks to Roger’s handy machine.

For lunch, Rose and Bless treated us to more local cuisine.  I was a bit weary of the fish heads since I usually don’t eat things that still have eyes and a mouth but I was pleasantly surprised by how wonderful the fish tasted!  The rice and beans were also a big hit.  I also saw Bertie’s eyes light up when Rose brought out the watermelon.

The afternoon was filled with excited children and dancing games with which Lyn became an expert!

In the evening. Summer heat storm served as a beautiful backdrop for a traditional Ghanaian dance performance.  I was stunned at the ability level of the young dancers and drummers.  Watching them dance was almost as beautiful as watching the happiness on their faces as they danced.  I was excited to participate in the drumming.  Some members on our team proved to be talented dancers as well!  May the dance team could fit in six more people.


- Emily 

0 comments: