Ghana Team Journal


Happy Hellos

Sunday, May 20, 2012


Day 1: The rudest awakening, and the happiest moment of my first day of the program, was a rap on my hotel door at 7:25 AM.  With a mouth full of toothpaste, I opened the door to find my dear friend Pam, who I haven’t seen in 2 ½ years, waiting with a huge bear hug and a directive that we would be leaving at 8 rather than 9 and I’d better hustle.  One hug and a few expletives later, I threw ever thing I had into my luggage, gave the room a quick once-over, and prayed I hadn’t left something there.

Breakfast was efficient, currency was converted, bags were loaded, and off we went in our ban for a pleasant drive to Senchi Ferry.  At our new home, St. James Guesthouse, we introduced ourselves to each other and met Esther, the resident GV leader who has taken off a bit of time to be with her new baby, a scrumptious 3 week old little girl with a full head of hair. (Esther had to pry the baby out of Pam’s loving arms.)  Esther spoke about the program here, after which we retired to our rooms to unpack and rest.  The good news:  The rooms are large and air-conditioned (sort of).  The bad news: no wifi, but far more important, next to no water pressure.  A shower is a cool dribble of water at best (at least mine).  All I can say is that I hope I brought enough deodorant with me.  And anyone who says no sweat to this volunteering business hasn’t been to Ghana.

The highlight of the day was a private audience with the local chiefs, who graciously welcomed us to their community and thanked GV for the work we are doing here.  Following the event, we walked across the road to the new library that GV helped to build.  We were surrounded by local children who wanted to hold our hands, feel our skin, touch our hair.  What a beautiful group of children!  They seemed to enjoy the fact that we were there, and I know we enjoyed them.

After the afternoon activity, 3 group members, including Pam, walked back to the guesthouse, while the rest of us took a taxi.  Back at the ranch, we had dinner followed by a discussion of possible weekend and after school activities.  Finally, bedtime! I was more than ready.



- Bertie

0 comments: