Ghana Team Journal


Friday, November 18, 2011

Quote of the day: “The future belongs to those who live intensely in the present.” – Anon.

By: Daniel Chen & Jim Leslie


When I came to Africa on this service program, I had doubts on whether I wanted and had the ability to handle these jumpy, boisterous kids. But three weeks here have changed that perspective entirely. I started the day with a heavy stomach, knowing that I would have to say goodbye to all my new friends by the end of the day. I ended the day wishing that I could have stayed longer. - Daniel

The day began with Jim, Esther, and I organizing our donation boxes which were going to be presented to the school in the morning. When we arrived at the school, I was assigned to bring 2 kids back to Esther’s car to carry the boxes to the enormous mango tree. 9 kids came. 2 kids snatched the boxes from the trunk and lifted them up on their heads. 7 kids fought amongst each other to hold my hand and walk back to the classrooms.

Fifteen minutes later, the entire primary school had lined up outside the P1-3 classrooms. Esther, on behalf of the 10/29-11/19 Global Volunteers team, presented these boxes to the headmaster. When the three soccer balls were changing hands, you could see the excitement in the kids’ eyes. Global Volunteers also donated some books (courtesy of Jim), sidewalk chalk, math flashcards, coloring pens and pencils, and some clothes for the construction crew. The headmaster humbly thanked Esther and the team for their efforts in the program, and sent the kids back off to class, much to their dismay. They thought they were going to play with the soccer balls right away!

My P2 class was responding well to tighter time restraints on math and English exercises. In fact, every student handed their workbook in before time had expired. Progress! One step at a time. Recess was the usual disorganized chaos – kids fighting over soccer balls, Frisbees, and jump ropes. I took the opportunity to say goodbye to all of the primary school teachers and thanked them for accommodating the team so well over the three weeks.

Teaching English to the P2 class is always interesting. While Teacher Kennedy was educating them about the difference between present and past tense and the conversion between the two, I wrote exercises on the board. Everyone had gotten “Skip” wrong. “Sir, why isn’t skiped right?” I made them wait (im)patiently as I refused to put up the answer until everyone was done the exercise. When I wrote, S-K-I-P-P (e-d) the class went, “OHHHHHHHHHHHHH SIR! YOU TRICKED US!” Barely containing my laugh, I replied, “I told you it was special! Now remember this!”

Ten minutes before noon, I asked the entire class to line up outside to take a picture. Of course, chaos ensued. The cries of “Cut me! Cut me!” could not be drowned out. Kennedy eventually settled them down for a solid 30 seconds so Jim could take a proper picture. As I said my final goodbyes, it was sad yet heart-warming to see the teary faces on the faces of my little friends. They even tried to chase down the taxi as it drove away from the classrooms.

I (Jim) had a very rewarding last day at the junior high school and at the library. At the school, I observed a moral and religious education class, I donated several novels by West African novelists –Chinua Achebe and Helon Habila- and a world map to the school, I tutored my young Togolese student in English for the last time, and I said my goodbyes to the junior high school staff. I was touched that many staff members said that they would really miss me, and I told them that I hoped to return to Ghana because I appreciated the warmth of their welcome.

The library session had more pictures taken than books read. I (Dan) was trying my best to capture my reading partners in the act of reading, but another kid would always jump into the picture. It took a full hour to get good pictures with my kids. In the end, I gave up trying to keep the camera away from their fidgety hands. They had a blast taking pictures of each other and of anything they could think of. I think I have over 50 pictures of someone’s finger.

In the afternoon, Jim worked at the library with a beautiful Muslim girl who is a P5 student at Senchi Ferry Methodist School. She read a number of books with enthusiasm and skill, and Jim will remember her and other West African children who are eager to learn.

Our departure from the library was stalled by a sudden shower, much to the children’s glee. When the taxi came, Munaia and Salamatu had grabbed on to my shirt so tightly that I thought it would rip straight off. Even in the rain they wouldn’t let go! Finally, after much effort and skillful peeling, my shirt was free. We drove away from the library, though I wasn’t sure whether the West driver knew where he was going. His windshield was so foggy, and his wiper was completely ineffective!


0 comments: