Ghana Team Journal


The Clinic

Tuesday, March 20, 2012


Today was a teachers meeting so there was no school for Cliff and Rhonda wasn't feeling well so she stayed home from work. I went to the Senchi Ferry clinic today and it was again very busy which I enjoyed and the people were again welcoming, but this time did not get in a tizzy when I made a mistake.

I worked with Charity the head nurse today and her assistant. Their roles here are more complex than mine at home. I had to explain to her that some things are not in the scope of my practice so I can't diagnosis, but I can do some things under a doctor’s order and assist with vitals or paper work as needed. Once my role was clearer to her she was more apt to be assistive.


Another procedure I watched was the I/D of a finger abscess. It was also done in the office with the woman sitting in a chair, her hand hanging over a regular waste basket, unsterile technique or instruments which were not washed afterwards. The woman had a gaping finger wound, no anesthetic besides one extra strength Tylenol and then a sloppy dressing placed which will not promote healing. I was grossed out and terrified by this practice. She used scissors and a spreader to open the wound. The patient almost passed out so they had to move her to the table to lie down, give her some oral rehydration salt water. She was told to get up after a few minutes they gave her some oral antibiotics to take home and she left.

After clinic time had lunch then Margret came with our dresses, mine were great and I was very pleased as I know I can wear this any where I want. We lay down for a while then learned library was canceled so we laid down some more. Everyone is getting some good rest and feeling better today.

0 comments: