Ghana Team Journal


he only time you run out of chances is when you stop taking them.

Thursday, March 15, 2012


Today and yesterday were fairly typical days for work, although I did more teaching both days. Yesterday, I had the class by myself for most of the morning. Today, I had the class for the second half of our work day, and I broke the class up into small groups to work on the skits we will perform for the rest of the class tomorrow. The children have trouble taking initiative in planning, although they are eager for the learning and the experience, they often need both very specific instructions and permission to act on their own. They need lots of encouragement to share their own ideas and implement them. It’s very different from home.


After work we ate a quick meal of sandwiches (an egg and cabbage mixture that was fabulous) so we could get to Akosombo market again. This is the first time I had been on a market day, and the market was booming! Stalls were everywhere and seemed to go on forever. People were often surprised to see the Obronis there, but eager to show off their goods. The fabrics, as usual, were stunning, and there is always more I want to buy. It would be easy to get myself in trouble in such a place.

The girls ventured out again after dinner and went to the Volta bridge. What a moment to have the batteries in my camera die! I walked quickly through the market square on my own while Ashley and Kara walked the bridge, so I could replace my batteries. Being an Obroni alone in the market at the end of day is quite different. Many of the vendors can be insistent, it is the end of the day and they are eager to sell the rest of their goods. It can be a lesson in assertiveness, although played out in another language, which can present difficulties. Success in finding the batteries had me back at the bridge where I took the most amazing pictures as evening fell. The clouds were afoot, and the evening shadows lent an incredible effect to the photos. We met many people, and, as usual, many men who were interested in coming to America with the Obroni women, but all were unfailingly polite and interesting to talk to.

As we were looking for a tro tro in the dark we met Desmond., a cabbie, who was very eager to carry us to our African home, so much so that it didn’t cost more than 60 American cents to take the taxi over the tro tro, and it was totally worth it. We jammed out to reggae music on the all too short trip, and queried Desmond about his life growing up in Akrade. I arrived home ready to dance the night away, but instead we stayed up for “Girl Talk” in Ashley’s room while she showed us what treasures she was bringing home as she leaves tomorrow.

I am really going to miss Ashley as she leaves the team after just one more work day. It’s very odd to get close to people so quickly, but new experiences tend to forge stronger bonds, and we have confided in each other about our experiences here in this beautiful place. I wish she could stay another week so we could have more adventures like today.

0 comments: