Ghana Team Journal


Day 1 – Wow a new continent for many of us!

Sunday, January 10, 2010

It was fun to meet and greet the other team members, discovering each other both on the plane and in the airport. Eight of us came in on the same flight from JFK. And, a lively flight it was. I was surprised by all the “activity” on the plane – and a little in awe at those who were able to sleep on the plane.
Esther, our new Ghana Manager, was there with a big smile to greet each of us with a hug!
After some confusion about a mystery team member (Jane) who seemed to be MIA, we proceeded to the hotel shuttle bus. I imagine our driver was a bit overwhelmed by all the unwanted help that swarmed around us once we walked outside. I was taken aback by the young man who begged me for a magazine. I finally gave him an Oprah issue I hadn’t yet read to get him off my back!
Checking in at the hotel was another little round of chaos. I had three different room assignments in the course of it all getting settled. My roommate here in Accra is Miss Ellie, an amazing woman who has traveled to every continent and has been on many mission trips. She was on our India program 4 years ago.
The Airport View hotel is simple and close to the airport. A shower & a bottled water to go with my toothbrush were my first priorities.
A little walk after the nap made Miss Ellie and I realize we really did enter a new world. It is very hot in the full afternoon sun and I had forgotten my hat (you won't see me without a hat very often). We met a young woman walking up to the busy corner to sell oranges. A whole platter of oranges nicely arranged and carried on her head. We took pictures.
We found Deb & Sandy sitting at the pool. Too hot for me – I went and sat in the hotel lobby using my laptop. Have to do what I can while I still have internet.
I was struck by the level of activity in the lobby. It seemed to me that they had far more workers mulling about than they had tasks to complete. They seemed to mostly ignore the American’s hanging out.
Dinner was server in the small hotel restaurant, almost next door to our room.
We gathered in the lobby and met up with Mystery Jane, who had actually arrived a day early. We have a great mix of people. A father and 8th grade daughter from Florida (John & Haley). Bobbi Jo and Sarah from St Catherine’s college. Ed & his wife, from Boston, were adventurous and toured the city via taxi during the day. Still awaiting the arrival of 1 last team member – Kathleen.
Dinner was very good. A pan with ½ chicken and ½ fish (no clue what kind of fish, but it was good). There was a bowl of beef in sauce. They had an excellent mix of veggies, and two rice dishes that were very good. And, they had French Fries, which made me laugh. I hope they didn’t do the French fries for us!
Back to our rooms for a good night sleep. So, here we are - people with varied backgrounds each coming from our little corner of reality to spend the next 2 – 3 weeks together helping a small community most of us have not even seen yet. The power of the human spirit!

0 comments: