Ghana Team Journal


What day is it???

Friday, January 15, 2010

Haley’s journal for:
Thursday, the 14, 2010

As I read this to the volunteer group, on the 15th, it is Elle’s birthday! So if
Any one wants to wish her a happy birthday, who hasn’t, now is a good time.

For me, the day started out with waking up from a weird dream at about
Seven A.M in the morning. With my father telling me we were going to be
Late for breakfast…again! Once I got to the common room for breakfast I
discovered that a few other people had bean experiencing weird dreams to.
We decided to blame it on the Malaria pills. After breakfast most of us
headed out to do our volunteer work for the day.

Bonnie & Esther left early for Accra with Phillip (our driver) and John (the electrician for the Library). Another cultural adventure.

I was working on the library again, with Ed, my dad, Deb, Sandy, and a few locals. The work I did today was the hardest work I’ve done so far. My job was the same as Sandy’s, which was to use a chisel and a hammer, or block of wood, to cut out little squares from a hard sort of platform of wood. Ed brought his I-phone to the library today, which I have to say, was a good idea. All the workers were singing and dancing to the wonderful tunes of Bob Marley! They got upset when it stopped playing, and since Ed was gone I was asked to “help the music move again.” Deb and my dad, John, were helping make the mortar, and Ed was helping make the doors and windows, while the locals helped make us do a better job. After work in the library, the Global Volunteers sort of met up to walk back to the common room for lunch, where I found most of us singing nursery rhymes for Pam to teach at a School, but when she had a notebook to write down the songs in we all had forgotten most of them. This was all right since we made up our own nursery rhyme that we named I lost my poor foofoo. Once our hunger was satisfied we were happy to relax before walking to the Methodist School, for tutoring with the kids. When we came back to the Guest house, we all relaxed with one of the tribal elders. When we ate dinner, we told each our stories from the day. There seemed to be many funny ones. Today was not as packed with things to do, and places to go, but I think we all needed a little rest anyways.

0 comments: