Ghana Team Journal


Saturday, February 25, 2012

I am at the beach and very happy. That sentence was written at 8:30 AM. It is now 9:40 PM and I am sitting at a table, under a thatched roof, beach hut only 20 feet from the ocean. It has been a spectacular day and evening. My biggest problem is that I am getting the sea mist on my glasses. That certainly isn’t such a dreadful problem. Monique, Ryan and I made the trip to the Cape Coast for the weekend. I am now enjoying my 2nd relaxing evening at the Coconut Grove Beach Resort. It is lovely here. Life is good and I am happy.

Monique and I had an interesting morning. After breakfast, we met our driver for we thought would be a short car ride to the Cape Coast Castle. We kept driving and driving and suddenly we arrived at the Kokum National Forrest, a nature reserve with hanging bridges under the canopy. We thought this was to be a Sunday adventure. Neither of us was prepared with bug spray or socks for Monique. Our driver kindly showed us to where we bought our tickets and then there was some discussion with him and the guide. The result was that since we were both “old ladies”, we should go ahead of the group for the rocky stepped climb. We were assured that the rest of the group would join us. They did so very noisily. Any chance of wildlife seeing was cancelled by the number of people and the noise. We did see three butterflies, two geckos and a few distant birds. After the canopy walk, our driver took us to the Cape Coast Castle. It’s a must for all to see. First we went through the very informative museum, covering Ghana’s history prior to slavery, the slavery stories and a section of the roles of the Queen Mother and the Chiefs. As we toured both the museum and the castle it’s self I was horrified at what I saw, including a branding iron and the dungeons where so many were held under horrible conditions. It was a very sobering experience.

We were back at the hotel in time for lunch. Ryan had stayed behind for a morning of swimming, reading and napping. Monique and I found another comfortable table under the thatched roof and settled in for a wonderful lunch. My sole was terrific. Ryan eventually joined us. We spent the afternoon sharing stories and discussing life in general. At some point I took a brief swim in the ocean. The water was a great temperature but the undertow was quite strong. We were so relaxed with the sea breeze, we found our selves sitting in the same place and it was then time for dinner. This time we all ordered the seafood pasta, which was enjoyed by all. Some where in there I found time for an Internet checkup to find that all is well at home. Monique and Ryan have headed to their respective rooms as I finish my journal at 9:40 PM, listening to the waves and enjoying the breeze. I think I could stay her the rest of my life.

0 comments: