Ghana Team Journal


Monday, February 20, 2012

Today is Monday, February 20, the launch of Week 2 of our service journey together. The day began with our usual tasty breakfast before heading to our work sites, including schools and the library, where we were all greeted warmly by the children. By noon, when the heat had cooked us all to a nice medium rare temperature, we returned to the St James palace, and most are eager to cool off with a shower before lunch. We enjoyed a lunch favorite of fried chicken, salad and delicious homemade french fries before heading out to another afternoon of tutoring and hugging the local children.

When I re-read the team journal over the weekend, I realized there was something missing. It was the emotional impact that I believe this experience is having on the team. I imagined those thoughts were expressed in private journals, and thought it would be insightful to hear about some of those ways we were all touched. I am making a request to the team to include some reflections as part of the daily journal this week. To that end, here are some of mine: Now that we have been here 2 weeks, everyone seems comfortable with the flow of life in Ghana, a marked slower pace than that of Massachusetts, Georgia, Vermont, Chicago, New York, Boston, Tempe, San Francisco, Iowa and Baltimore. We realize that the surviving the afternoon heat is best accomplished when you sit down, relax, and watch the world go by. Isn’t that the best part of life, enjoying that feeling of just being in the moment? And in Ghana, we are helping others as we learn/experience new things along the way.

Patience and conceding control has definitely been a challenge on this trip for some of us. Many of us hold positions of leadership back in the States (or are inherently strong willed) and one of the most important tenets of successful leadership is to let others feel a sense of empowerment. I believe are all trying to make room for each other to succeed and lead with gentle pushes from time to time. It is a tough thing to do sometimes, and especially in this environment, where basics can be challenging.As I have said to John, my family, and close friends, coming to Ghana is the hardest thing I have ever done and continues to be. That actually still takes me by surprise. I have been humbled by my experiences here. I have been reminded that the small things in life are what really matter, and most importantly, that I am nothing without my community of friends and family. My heart both sings with pleasure and weeps daily from what we see, hear, smell and feel. I live in the moment in a way I find is hard to do at home, and perhaps that is why time seems to pass like the flow of molasses. All we have is the here and now, as there are few distractions World news, our families, our jobs, our day-to-day issues and responsibilities to balance. With limited access to TV, phones, the Internet and newspapers, our present world has become the village, and our friends & family, each other. There is a sense of freedom with being in the moment, but it is also a little scary.

After a plate bowl of veggie/meat Ghanaian pot pie, everyone except out party boy Ryan, went to bed….earlier and earlier it seems to enjoy a night of rest.

0 comments: